April 19, 2007
Sumanth is in a relaxed mood these days after completing shooting for his latest film Classmates and is listening to new scripts. His latest film Classmates is hitting marquee on April 20. He enthusiastically explained Idlebrain.com about the new film in his residence. Excerpts:
What is your take on Madhumasam?
Madhumasam was a profitable venture to Suresh Productions. They broke even in 3-4 weeks. Initially, they thought Madhumasam would only cater only to A centers, but it slowly penetrated into B and C centers and did reasonably well. Since it is a family oriented film attracted lady audience and did well. I am very happy about the film from commercial aspect.
What is Classmates about?
Classmates is a different kind of film, the storyline has something for everyone and similar stories never appeared in Telugu industry before. Screenplay - especially in second half - is going to be highlight of the film. It is a college caper with long back forgotten friendships, bitter and lost love, college politics, nostalgias and also a little bit of suspense. The story happens in Warangal.
What about your character?
Another thing I liked about this film is characterizations. There are no idealistic heroes and villains in this film. You see only characters and each character will have both positives and negative aspects. It is about redemption. My character is massy, powerful and brash, but dealt in a neat manner.
Can we expect to see a new Sumanth in this film?
In fact, you will be seeing two new Sumanths’ in this film. I am playing the role that spans over 10 years on the screen. Hence there will be two different get-ups. The movie will have 30% of duration as present time. The remaining 70% of the film is being narrated in spaced flashbacks.
Is Kamalinee paired up with you in this film?
There is certain intrigue attached to her character. I don't want to spoil it by telling about it now. You will come to know when you watch the film tomorrow.
You watched the preview along with other heroes from your family. What is the buzz?
Positive! I gave a statement that Classmates is going to be hit. I never spoken about the success of my films prior to the film release earlier. But this film is different. It is surely going to be successful. But the range of the success will depend on the acceptability of the subject. It has progressive screenplay. I have a winner in my hand.
What are your future commitments?
I have been listening to stories everyday and lazing around. I has four releases in a span of 365 days, which is a bit excessive for any actor. I will take a break from work now and AP audience too will get a break from Sumanth's films for a while.
What kind of scripts you are looking forward to?
After doing class films like Madhumasam and Classmates, I would like to do a commercial action film like Gowry. But it depends mostly on what is on my platter. I will do my best with whatever storyline I get. I have a very good Godavari kind of script by new director on my hand. I will decide on it in the next few days.
RK (Hyderabad Nawabs)
Dr. Haranath Policherla
Dil Raju 2
Mahesh Babu 3
Sekhar Kammula 2
KM Radha Krishnan
D Rama Naidu
Allari Ravi Babu
KS Rama Rao 2
Mohan Babu 2
KV Ramana IAS
Devi Sri Prasad
AM Ratnam 2
Ram Gopal Varma 3
Mahesh Babu 2
Mohan Babu 1
KS Rama Rao 1
AS Ravi Kumar
Ram Gopal Varma 2
Ram Gopal Varma